This knowledge base article details the steps required in configuring the Gmail IMAP server with the mentioned Adroit email drivers, in line with Gmail’s new security policies implemented as of 30 May 2022. For further information, refer to the following Google Account Help article: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en
The opening article states the following:
To help keep your account secure, from May 30, 2022, Google no longer supports the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password.
Important: This deadline does not apply to Google Workspace or Google Cloud Identity customers. The enforcement date for these customers will be announced on the Workspace blog at a later date.
For more information, continue to read.
Previously, Adroit email driver’s required full access to your Gmail account, and subsequently your Google account, to allow access into your inbox using the Gmail IMAP server. This required adjusting a security setting on your Google account to allow 3rd party applications to access your account.
If you have noticed that Adroit has not been able to successfully connect to the Gmail IMAP server, typically stating an authentication error, the problem could be related to this issue.
Example of MYCITY Email Client Protocol Driver device authentication error [x0000 NO [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid Credentials (Failure) Cannot do email work!]
To access the setting in question, follow the steps provided:
1) Accessing from Gmail directly:
a. Log in to your Gmail account
b. Click on the Google Account indicator in the top right-hand corner of the screen. Click on Manage your Google Account
c. On the page that opens, click on the Security tab located on the left-hand side
d. Under the Security section, there used to be a section Less secure app access which was required to be On. However, this setting has since been removed
Please Note: if you are unable to see this setting, you probably have 2-Step Verification turned on. In the past, Adroit would require this be turned off, but please read further as this is now required to be on.
2) Accessing account security directly
a. Log in to your Google Account
b. Access your Google Account: https://myaccount.google.com/
c. Follow from Step 1)c outlined previously
To fix this issue, the user will need to create an App Password that Adroit will then use for authentication with Gmail. This requires that 2-Step Verification is enabled. The steps provided below are summarised and can also be read from here, should you require additional information: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en#:~:text=Create%20%26%20use%20App%20Passwords
1) Log in to your Google/Gmail Account
2) Access your Google Account: https://myaccount.google.com/
3) Click on the Security tab on the left-hand side of the screen
4) Navigate the menu to the section Signing in to Google
5) Enable 2-Step Verification if it is not already. If has not been enabled, do so and follow the prompts by Google. You will need a cellphone number to continue.
6) After setting up 2-Step Verification, click on the new option under the Signing in to Google called App passwords
7) After verifying it is you, you will see a list of App passwords currently registered. Generate a new App password by clicking the Select app dropdown box, and selecting the Mail option, then the Select device dropdown box, selecting the Windows Computer option. Click on the Generate button.
8) A message will appear with a 16-character randomly generated password. Copy this and save it somewhere secure. This is the password you will use for Adroit to access the Gmail account.
9) Open the Classic Adroit Setup and navigate to the device experiencing the issue
10) Open the device configuration by selecting the device and clicking Configure
11) Ensure the details of the device have been input correctly, and place the App password previously generated into the Login Password/Password input field
12) Exit the Device configuration by clicking on OK. You may be prompted to change the current resource for all mailboxes if you are using the MyCity Email driver, for example. You can create a new resource or override it for all devices using the same resource.
13) The device should now be marked as healthy. Open the datalog to see if the error is persisting. Please Note: you may need to restart your Agent Server before the changes are applied.
Please Note: The App password generated to allow access to Gmail’s Email Server does not rely on the verification that 2-Step Verification provides, as it allows the third-party application limited control direct access to your Gmail account. Please keep this password private and secure.
However, considering these changes, Google may continue to further change and evolve their security policies, with or without notice, which can affect the ability of the Adroit email drivers to function as expected. It is therefore recommended that users provide an alternative email with a different provider as a backup solution, or to migrate to another email provider.
Provided is a list of tested email providers that can be utilized with Adroit email drivers as an alternative to Gmail, and more will be added in the future:
Please contact Adroit Support should you wish to enquire about compatibility with other email service providers.
For further details on device configuration, please refer to the respective Adroit driver documentation.